When you file a house insurance claim, your insurer will send it through an adjuster before it will pay out benefits. An adjuster investigates both property damage and liability claims to verify that coverage applies, determine the magnitude of the losses, and arrive at a fair settlement for both the insured and the insurer. Claims adjusters arrive at the settlement amount by talking with witnesses and the person who filed, reviewing hospital and police records, and assessing any property damage to estimate the extent of the insurer's liability.


  1. Staff. These individuals who work for an insurance company. For example, if you file a claim with your house insurance company, the insurer will have a staff member process the inquiry.
  2. Independent. These individuals are not in the employ of an insurance company; rather, they work on an independent contract basis. These individuals can work for multiple home insurance companies, not just one. As with staff adjusters, independent ones work to protect the rights of the insurance company for which they are working and reach a fair settlement for all parties involved.
  3. Public. These individuals work only for the policyholder. Policyholders often hire public adjusters when they fail to reach an agreeable settlement with staff or independent ones. These professionals usually charge a percentage of the settlement as their fee (e.g., 10%).


The duties of these professionals include the following:

Required Education & Training

About 45% of people in this line or work have at least a bachelor's degree, though a four-year degree is not required to enter the profession. These individuals do not have to major in a particular field of study to be qualified, but degrees in accounting and business are considered helpful. Depending on the nature of the work adjusters do, they may need additional education to perform their duties satisfactorily. For instance, those who handle investigative work may have backgrounds as private investigators, law enforcement officers, etc. Similarly, those who handle health or life insurance claims may need experience in the medical field. In addition to meeting certain educational requirements, these professionals must also comply with the licensing standards of their states. Many states require them to complete certain classes and pass exams in order to obtain a license to practice.