Cheap Home Insurance
The single most effective way to a cheap homeowner insurance is to request free quotes from our site. Our affiliates will show you their most competitive offers, and you will have your choice of at least four different policies. But your cost-cutting efforts do not have to stop there. When you take out your policy, making the slightest changes to your coverage and/or your home can make a significant difference in your premiums. Read the following tips to get the cheapest homeowners insurance available.
Fortify Your Home
Insurance companies want to be reassured that your home is as disaster- and theft-proof as possible. By modifying your home with certain safety features, you will be far more likely to qualify for a cheap home insurance quote. Precautions against theft, fire, flooding, and other disasters can cut hundreds of dollars out of your yearly premium in many cases. Here are a few things you can do to improve your home's resistance to such calamities and get cheaper home insurance:
- Install deadbolt locks on all outside doors
- Put in an alarm system that notifies the police when a security breach is detected
- Install backflow devices to prevent flooding from broken pipes
- Waterproof your basement
- Put in smoke alarms and fire sprinklers
- Minimize your liability by fencing off your pool or spa
Bundle Your Coverage
To show their appreciation for loyal customers, insurers almost always offer a generous discount to policyholders who hold more than one type of coverage with them. The cheapest house insurance will likely come from a company with which you either already have a life, health, or auto policy or one with which you are willing to take out another policy. Known as the multiple-policy discount, bundling coverage can save you up to 20 percent with some carriers. Consolidating your policies is probably the easiest and fastest way to get home insurance cheap.
Miscellaneous Tips to Lower Home Insurance Premiums
You can also get cheap homeowners insurance by following these suggestions:
- Quit smoking. Smokers are unlikely to qualify for cheap homeowner insurance because of the fire risk they present.
- Pick a good insurer and stay put. Insurers usually offer loyalty discounts for policyholders who stick around.
- Investigate senior discounts. Home insurers are often willing to lower premiums once you reach a certain age.
- Exclude the value of your land when deciding on a coverage amount. Remember the cheapest homeowners insurance should only protect your home and belongings, not the land where your house is built. If you include the value of the land in your coverage estimate, you will unnecessarily inflate your premiums.